Ruffled Raven Collar
One Size fits all.
This kit includes a colour-printed patterncard with full instructions and all the Alice Starmore™ Hebridean 2 Ply required to make the Ruffled Raven Collar in your own choice of colours.
The Raven Costume from Glamourie continues to serve its inspirational purpose. All of the collar variants we have shown in Flights of Fancy have proved to be hugely popular and so we are delighted to offer the Ruffled Raven Collar as a patterncard kit. The design is made using four colours, comprising one main colour and three contrast colours. You can see two examples here, the red version uses Sea Anemone as a main colour with Sundew, Mountain Hare and Red Deer as contrasts. The green version uses Lapwing as a main colour with Erica, Clover and Selkie as contrasts.
You can create any number of dramatic effects through your choice of colour palette. The main colour dominates the feathers as a whole and is also used alone to create the collar and neckband base. The three contrast colours are intended to be used at will within the feathers and the neckband ruffles. For example, I used the contrast colours in the feathers at random for the Red Ruffled Collar shown here, but you can also plan where you place your contrast colours, so there is much scope for creativity. For example, here is how I created the red collar –
Fire was my theme so I chose Sea Anemone the main colour. Then I added warm shades of Sundew, Mountain Hare, and Red Deer to the palette. Other than having Sea Anemone dominate, I determined to use the colours in a truly random fashion, as if I were capturing the flickering of a flaming fire. This was an interesting exercise as I believe humans have a hard time being random. As someone who creates patterns all the time, the urge to organize and make sense is very powerful and happens even at a subconscious level. So in order to be truly random within the scope of my palette, I placed two wound-up balls of Sea Anemone and one of the other three colours in a container and whichever ball my hand found first got used. I changed the colours within the feathers to different degrees, the only consideration being that as I worked each layer of feathers, I made sure I left enough of the contrast colours to include in the following layers and in the neckband ruffles. Once I had blocked out the feathers of each layer I stacked them ready for joining up without examining them for colour content. I knew that if I was being truly random I should at least get two feathers the same or very similar side by side and I would have to resist the urge to change them.